So almost a year ago, I wrote a blog post about how I was going to complete some projects. One of them was a mitten.
This is the picture I posted then:
So that was last March. Today, I got the mitten out again. Here is how it looked almost a year later:
Who knits almost an entire mitten and then puts it away, unfinished, for almost a year?
So today I finished the mitten. I was supposed to do the thumb in a continuation of a gray and red pattern, but I decided that this was entirely too fiddly for me to want to accomplish with the thumb (This may have been the main reason it sat unfinished for so long now that I think about it). I was really not enjoying it, so I took out the thumb, and I started again. This time I knitted it all gray.
Yay! I am not thrilled with the base of the thumb. I am not thrilled with the color work on some of the gnomes. I have some wonky eyes. I have some wonky gnomes altogether. The mitten does fit pretty well, although it is a little snug across the widest part of my hand.
I am just happy that it is done. Now the problem is that mittens come in pairs. I really have no desire to knit the second one right now. I enjoy color work, but some of the color work on this mitten involves handling three colors at once. I am not a fan of managing three colors at all. They get all tangly.
Maybe I will make the second one at some point. I am a better knitter (I think) then I was a year ago, so it would probably turn out nicer. Then though, the first one would look even wonkier. Maybe I will see if it will work as an oven mitt. There’s an idea.