Finished my first “Two to Tango” sock. First problem I encountered: Couldn’t get it on. The fair isle fishies part was too tight. So there I sat — sock half on my foot. Davey came to the rescue: “Mommy, I have a tiny foot! I will put it on for you.”
Then it occurred to me to wet it and block it. I began the process by getting it wet and stretching it out some, and now it went over my foot. (It was abit like being in high school again, on the bed, trying to cram my jeans on.) It did stretch pretty well though.
Plan of action for 2nd sock:
1. I need to get some sock blockers. (that would apply to first sock too).
2. Address sizing issues. The cuff is a little floppy(maybe even a lot floppy) and the fair isle fishies section is too small. From the fishies to the toe, the fit is fine. The pattern called for a 3.25 needle, but since I knit kind of loose I went with a 3.0. Why I did this with a fair isle sock though is beyond me. I think I may go 2.75 on the cuff. When I get to the fishies I will switch to 3.25. That should give me just enough ease to get that sock over my monster foot. Then back to 3.0 to finish the sock. A good alternative would be to give the sock away to someone whom it might fit, but I am not satisfied enough with sock 1 to give it to anyone. (The person would need enormous calves and waifish feet in order to fit the cuff and fair isle properly.)
3. I also made an adjustment for the toe. The pattern called for going down to 8 stitches and then grafting. By the time I got to 20 stitches, I felt like I was wrestling with the dpns more than I was knitting with them. I also don’t like that pointy of a toe. So I did like I usually do – 10 stitches each on 2 needles for Kitchener grafting. That worked fine.
Also on the toe – I was a little iffy on the striping. The striping got off when I decreased every other row. I decided to just wing it, and I think (hope) I did it ok.
A couple of other observations: The cuff involves a repeating pattern. Where each repeat starts it looks like a ladder to me. (Like if you didn’t get your tension right between dpns). Not happy about that look. Also, I am not thrilled with how I picked up stitches around the heel. It could look better. I thought about blaming it on the yarn, but I think I am fooling myself on that one. So I learned a lot on this sock. It’s like one giant swatch of a sock. Now….sock 2!