I just finished knitting a great pattern written by my friend Ann.  It’s a hat called #Louder, and it’s a Seahawks hat (this probably goes without saying).  The back design represents the seismograph from the “Beastquake” which results from the fan phenomenon known as “Beastmode”.  I am really not all up and comfortable with the Seahawks terminology, but I have a lot of friends around these parts who definitely are.


As Ann wrote in her pattern, the Beast Quake occurs when the fans are:



There’s a hashtag in front of the Louder too.  I had trouble getting photos which showed everything just right.  My hashtag is a little wonky too.FullSizeRender (1)

I’d love to make another one of these hats. I loved the yarn too.  It’s HiKoo by skacel, and I’d not knit with it before.  Really nice to knit with.  I did block it on my little mannequin head thing. It smoothed out my decreasing at the top a whole lot. It is a roomy hat, and I wonder if I might not go down a needle size if I did it again.  It’s a nice fitting and keep your head warm hat though.  Here’s my little spaghetti-sauced faced Davey modeling it for me (I was doing good to get him to cheerfully pose for me; I didn’t want to push my luck by requiring a clean face as well!).  This is a great pattern for which to practice stranded knitting.  It’s clearly written and very fun!




Bam! and Neon Socks.

I am on my mission to finish started projects.  Yesterday I finished this:


These are the “Fightin’ Words” fingerless gloves.  I never blogged about starting them, but I specifically remember starting them when we went on a trip to Crested Butte back when we lived in Colorado.  I began them in mid-August 2012.  Now nearly four years later, the first mitt is complete.

I did immediately cast on the second mitt though, and I am determined to finish it before I do anything else.


I bought a kit to make these mitts from Knit Picks.  I am pretty sure that the yarn I am using is Knit Picks Stroll Fingering weight.  It’s a nice soft superwash wool and nylon blend.  I like it lots.

Davey took one look at the finished mitt and decided he wants them.  The second mitt will say “Pow”!


I also finished my NEON socks.  I used Plymouth Neon Now which I bought at my awesome local yarn store.

These were fun to knit.  I love self-striping yarn, and I always enjoy this simple sock pattern from Susan B. Anderson.


Now back to the POW mitt!

Davey’s sweater

I have finished knitting Davey’s sweater. I finished it just in time for the really cold weather that has arrived.  The sweater pattern is called Wyatt and is from Brooklyn Tweed.  I used a superwash yarn from Ella Rae.

Davey very agreeably consented to let me take some pictures of him in his sweater despite the busy day he is having playing Minecraft (“Mama, I am relaxing!”).

The light is not perfect, but we got some nice pics anyway.



There were a couple of challenging moments with this sweater.  I knitted one of the button bands and totally messed it up.  I didn’t pick up enough stitches when I was making it so it came out a lot shorter then the opposite button band.  I think the sweater went into time out for a little bit.  The second time around, I still didn’t get it quite perfect, but it went much better.  I ordered some beautiful buttons from an etsy seller called AnnyMay Craft Supplies.  I love these buttons.


I did something earlier on too when I was trying to figure out how to incorporate the sleeves into the body.  I have kinda blocked the specifics out of my mind.  This resulted in another time out.

Then there was also a moment where I thought the sweater would end up being mine. I soaked it and then lightly blocked it.  After I blocked it, I thought “wow, that sweater looks really big,” but I thought “nah, it will be ok”.  So I came back to it when it was almost dry and it definitely was enormous.  I should have taken a picture.  I had a feeling that it would fit me.  I tried it on and it fit almost perfectly.  A size 8 boy’s sweater.

I messaged my friend Ann.  She told me not to panic.  She explained that superwash wool stretches like crazy, and that it really needed to be dried in the dryer.  I got it wet again and put it into the dryer.  I was worried that it would either not shrink up enough or shrink too much, but after it was dry, it was back to the right size which is one that has some growing room.  It should easily fit him next winter I am hoping.   It’s apparent in this picture that the sleeves are a little long still.



Davey was very helpful.  He said I needed to take a picture of the back of it. So I did.


The light was too bright here, but I loved how Davey modeled the sweater for me when he was standing on the front porch.


I learned a lot making this sweater, and it definitely had some challenging moments.  But – yay! – it turned out well.