This week a friend asked me if I would knit her some baby booties for a friend of hers who is expecting a baby. She gave me the yarn she wanted me to knit with, and I said sure!
I wasn’t sure what pattern I wanted to use, so I started looking around on ravelry and pinterest. This had led to a fun week of knitting. I keep coming across little baby patterns that I want to try out. For the booties, I found a pattern called “Easiest and Fastest Baby Booties Ever!”. These were definitely very quick to knit up. I decided to add some of my own yarn and give them stripes.
I took the picture the other day when it was sunny, so I especially like looking at it since we are under gray skies once again.
These booties are knit flat and seamed up. They are garter stitch and have just a little bit of increasing and decreasing. They would be a great first project. The seaming can be done with just a whip stitch with the right sides facing. Some people don’t like seaming, but it doesn’t bother me. I prefer it to working with dpns with small numbers of stitches. That’s a little fiddly for me.
In the process of looking for this pattern, I found another sweet little shoe that I just had to make. The idea here is to use up yarn that I already have. I am diligently trying to knit away at my stash. I had some silver metallic yarn and some pink which I thought would be pretty together. The pattern is called “Bows before Bros” and it’s a free one too.
This was also a quick and easy knit. I knit the shoe and then made the bow separately and attached it.
This is another great beginner pattern!
Davey was sick a couple of days this week so I had some downtime with him. We did lots of resting which means I had time for some extra knitting. I came across another pattern that I was fascinated by mainly because it included an interesting schematic.
It was a pattern for an elephant knit all in one piece (except for the ears and tail). It looked tricky to me, so I wanted to try it out. It was a little tricky, but I realized that I needed to just follow the written instructions and not over think it. It was actually all really easy going except the trunk confused me a little.
Here’s a not very great picture of how it looked flat.
This also requires seaming up. I used mattress stitch though and it went quickly.
I think he’s the cutest. If I had it to do again, I’d stuff the trunk a little more to give it a little more curve. I made him with some leftover Kraemer cotton tweed. He was really very fun to knit. I’d happily make him again.
Back to baby knitting!